Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summertime and the livin's...busy!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining!!! I think that I can confidently say that for my first official summer taking on weddings, it has gone really well! I have been busy every single weekend of July, and I'm still not quite finished. I am kind of glad that August is a bit slower for me though, it is a lot to work part-time and do weddings every weekend.

There is so much I would like to be doing with makeup, but to find the time is tough lately. My favorite photographer to work with (Michelle Cervo) is moving away in September, so I won't get to see her as often!!! :( But, she will be making trips to continue doing shoots for her clientele in the B.C. area, so I will definitely be keeping in touch with her as often as possible. It's her first official wedding season doing photography as well, and WOW is she AMAZING!!! You would think she's been doing it for years! I am so proud of her and feel so lucky to be able to work along side someone as talented as she. Check out her stuff:
http://www.michellecervophotography.com/

My best friend is getting married next summer so it is going to be an eventful year in 2011. I will not be able to take any clients from August 13-21 of next year. I am very excited though, I've already had a few people asking about next summer! And with all the consultations and weddings I've done this year I have learned a lot. Definitely worked out a lot of kinks in order to make things run super smooth for my clients as well as myself!

Consultations are very important for me to do with my wedding clients, even if I know them already. This is an opportunity for me to meet and get to know my bride, see what her personality is like and find out what her expectations are. I can also get all of the information that I need to be fully prepared for her special occasion. I have been taking deposits during these consultations, but as of now I will be taking $25 for each person in the party that will be having makeup applied. This way, not only will the date be fully secured for my client, but I will also have a firm commitment of exactly the number of girls I will be doing. This is important because I have had a few times when people change their minds at the last minute - either for a couple of extra faces getting makeup done, or a couple of people canceling. This can pose a problem for timing, as I need to know how many faces I'm doing in order to not be rushed. I usually plan for an adequate amount of time so that I can make my clients look and feel their very best!

I have been very lucky...out of all the weddings I have done, I've only had a couple of nightmare ones! HAHA but we will not go there! I have worked with amazing people, beautiful brides and wedding parties, and I've been able to be a part of such a memorable and special experience. I really love what I do!!!

Now all I need to do is invest in a larger makeup kit and a fold-up high makeup chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment